Constipation – is hindered, delayed or insufficiently frequent defecation (bowel movement). Some people defecation may be 2 or 3 times a day, once every other day 3-5, both in the normal case. About constipation says no stool frequency and consistency or discomfort.
Causes of constipation
– Ignoring the need for a bowel movement because of employment
– Hemorrhoids or anal fissures that cause pain during bowel movements;
– Wrong diet, low activity, changes in or increased stress;
– Inadequate fluid intake and dietary fiber (cellulose)
– Some drugs, such as tools that reduce gastric acidity, antidepressants, antihistamines, antihypertensive (blood pressure lowering), diuretics, and drugs (eg, codeine), can also cause constipation
– Infants receiving artificial feeding, the cause of constipation may be too dense nutrient mixture;
– Constipation in children can be caused by a too heavy load and stress;
– Constipation in the elderly may be due to the fact that the abdominal muscles with age are much weaker.
In some cases, constipation may be a sign of a more serious disease. For example, alternating constipation and diarrhea may mean that you have irritable bowel syndrome (common disorder of the intestines). Diverticulitis, inflammation diverticulum small saccular structures in the colon wall, often cause constipation, fever and pain in the lower left part of the abdomen.
– A feeling of pressure in the rectum
– The unpleasant feeling of fullness intestine.
It is recommended to consult a doctor if constipation is changing shape of feces and it takes the form of beads (sheep feces), thin tubes or tape, only mucus and fluid can get out of the anus, and if constipation is accompanied by nausea, fever, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, cramps and flatulence.
Required immediate hospitalization, if constipation is accompanied by bloating and the inability to release gases.
What you can do?
If, apart from constipation, there are no other symptoms, just wait for it to pass. The frequency of bowel movements and look of the chair may vary slightly from time to time, there is nothing unusual.
Listen to your body. It gives you a signal of the need to defecate. Do not delay this moment. If you have a bowel movement is repeated (for example, on the morning after you wake up or the evening before going to sleep), try every day at this time to release 10 minutes for normal bowel movements. Try to relax during defecation.
Change your diet. Increase the amount of fluid intake. From constipation can help prune juice. Add to your diet more fresh fruits and vegetables as well as whole-wheat bread.
Try to do more exercise. Physical activity not only helps the intestines, but also save you from stress, which is often one of the main causes of constipation.
Use a mild laxative to relieve the condition. But as soon as the intestine returned to normal, try to change your diet, motoring, and reduce stress.
If constipation lasts longer than 7 days, in spite of your actions, contact your doctor.
What can a doctor?
The doctor may:
– Delete hemorrhoids and anal fissures, as well as other, more serious causes of constipation (eg, cancer of the colon or rectum).
– Give advice on nutrition and physical activity regimen, add fiber to the diet of the patient, and fibers.
– Write out a suitable laxative.
– Prescribe a candle or an enema (introduction of fluid into the intestine through the anus using a special tube).
– A mild laxative, such as a suspension of magnesium (magnesium hydroxide) or candles, can temporarily eliminate constipation. But do not use them all the time, if you want to organize the work of the intestine, as on laxatives may develop a dependency.
Eat the more fluid, fruits, vegetables and whole grains every day. Avoid the “fixing” of products, ie those that cause hard stools.
Reduce the number of soft drinks and coffee in your diet. Exercise regularly. Observe mode, and eat about the same time, 3-4 times a day. If you have any urge to defecate, do not put it.