OverviewCandidiasis - a disease of the mucous membranes, skin and internal organs, which are the causative agent of yeast fungi of the genus Candida (most often - Candida. albicans). There are more than a dozen representatives of the fungal genus Candida, which can cause human diseases. Many of them are in this part of the normal flora of the mouth, vagina and colon, and only if the cause of excessive breeding of infection.
Thrush, i.e. lesion of the mucous membrane of the mouth, can occur in both children and adults. In children with normal immune disease is usually mild, does not cause complications and is easily treatable.
The causes of the diseaseRisk factors for Candida stomatitis include:
- State of the newborn (contamination often occurs from the mother during passage through the birth canal, or it is formed due to the absence of microflora of the mouth);
- Children up to age 1 year (this can be caused frequent licking of toys and other items that are not fully formed immunity);
- Early artificial feeding;
- Feeding mixtures with high sugar content;
- A long stay in hospital the child;
- The use of broad-spectrum antibiotics (uncontrolled use of antimicrobial drugs violates the normal microflora of the mucous membranes);
- Malignant neoplasms (especially onco-hematological) and cytostatic therapy;
- Treatment with corticosteroids and immunosuppressive drugs.
Risk factors for thrush in adults can be added diabetes, AIDS, the use of dentures, smoking, etc.
Symptoms of thrushThrush in children occurs most often in the form of acute pseudomembranous candidiasis (thrush), and appears as a white or yellowish, easily removed raids on the mucous membrane of tongue, gums and inner cheeks. The mucous membrane is slightly swollen under the raids, and hyperemia (inflammation, redness), or ulcerated. There is increased sensitivity or soreness of the mucous. The child is not willing to suck. Abandons her nipples are often thrust the handle in his mouth.
Diagnosis is usually based on the examination, but in some cases, your doctor may take a swab from the mucosa for microscopic examination. In addition, if you suspect the presence of the major causes for the occurrence of infection, your doctor may refer the child for additional testing.
What can you do?If you suspect a thrush in children under one year should be remembered that the power of mostly milk and white patches in the mouth for them quite natural. According to this, before you start treatment, you should consult with your doctor.
Fungi of the genus Candida have a pretty good survival in the environment and may remain on toys, nipples, objects of care and the mother's breast. Therefore, if the physician discovered your child has thrush, it should be washed well and boil the nipples, bottles, toys, before you offer your child a pacifier, it can be kept in a solution of baking soda. Careful toilet breasts and nipples is also important.