When arthritis is joint damage, which is compounded over time, increases pain, decreased mobility.
For people with a high degree of destruction of the joint arthroplasty (partial or total joint replacement at the prosthesis) is the only way to return to normal life.
The decision on the necessity and possibility of joint replacement can be made only after a thorough medical examination and evaluation of the potential benefits and risks of intervention. The survey may require a biopsy or arthroscopy (joint research with a special tool arthroscope).
Surgery may be required for replacement (arthroplasty), joint or part of it, eliminating compression of the nerve fibers or removing part of the joint capsule synovectomy (excision of the synovial joint).
Modern surgery with joint replacement can restore many of the joints of the human body. Complete or partial hip replacement may be undertaken on the shoulder, elbow, wrist or ankle joints of the fingers hands or feet. The most common and successful surgery is to replace the hip or knee arthroplasty.
The main objective arthroplasty – reducing pain and restoring joint mobility.
Many patients experience pain in the operated joint for several weeks or even months after the prosthesis. But the pain caused by tissue trauma during surgery and the weakness of the muscles around the joint, which was fixed for a long time before surgery.
Gradually the injured tissues are restored, the pain subsides, the strength of the weaker of the previously dormant muscles surrounding the affected joint is restored with the help of special exercises. Increased mobility. The degree of improvement after the prosthesis depends on the stiffness of the joint before the operation. The more he tied up the joint prosthesis, the longer it takes to restore his mobility.
The risk for arthroplasty
The risk inherent in any surgical intervention. Benefit-risk ratio of the main question before performing any operations. Comorbidities can complicate the operation of endoprosthesis, so during the preparation necessary to conduct a full medical examination, the patient should inform your doctor about all the existing diseases. The same should be communicated to the surgeon and anesthesiologist about cases of intolerance to medication and a list of all medications taken before the operation. The most common complication of surgery is an infection that can occur both during hospitalization and later, after returning home. At the first sign of inflammation should immediately consult a doctor promptly apply to antibiotic therapy and to prevent the spread of infection. Other complications of joint replacement prosthesis loosening can be (in this case, you may need a second operation), the displacement of the joint (may be corrected without surgery). It is also possible to wear or breakage of the prosthesis, a violation of nerve conduction.
Preparation for surgery
Before the operation is necessary to provide a number of important points.
It should be noted that:
– approximately 6 weeks after surgery, patients are denied the opportunity to drive a car;
– 6 weeks after the operation is necessary to abandon long trips, and if travel is still inevitable, it is recommended to provide for the possibility of frequent leisure.
Assistance after returning home:
– for the most prosperous conduct of the operation, patients still need to be lightweight mode, and any help for a few weeks after returning from the hospital;
– be difficult to foresee the presence of the house any assistive devices (trolleys for transportation of things, devices, allowing to raise the fallen stuff, etc.).
– Approximately 3 months after surgery, patients have to indulge in their favorite forms of recreation, such as working in the garden, outdoor games. – The patient is very important to remain as active before the operation, as far as it state. Should remember that an active lifestyle before surgery helps quicker recovery after the conference.
Thus, joint replacement for arthritis is a chance to get rid of the excruciating pain and the possibility of once again enjoying life and movement. The operation is always traumatic. But awareness of the possibility of positive change the best way to cope with anxiety and make the right decision.
Do not hesitate to ask your doctor if this will help you understand the essence of interventions to overcome the anxiety and make the rehabilitation process more comfortable.