The natural femoral head is replaced by a spherical part and a rod (prosthesis femoral component), which is installed in the channel of the femur. This element of the prosthesis, in most cases, is made of solid metal or ceramic. The composition may contain a metal or an alloy of stainless steel, cobalt chrome or titanium. By way of attachment to the bone are distinguished cemented prostheses and not cemented. In each case, the doctor picks up the prosthesis individually, taking into account the necessary size and suitable material.
How long is a prosthesis?For the majority of older patients prosthetic hip joint is likely to serve for life, unless there is a weakening of the prosthesis or any other problems. Typically, the prosthesis is fixed for 15-20 years. Patients were younger in their lifetime may be required reoperation replacement.
The recovery period after surgeryRecovery period after surgery depends on the age and condition of the patient. After the operation is a special program of rehabilitation. It includes the necessary exercise, gradually increase the load on the joints underwent surgery, as well as recommendations to avoid the various postoperative complications. It is important to understand well, and then right to comply with these recommendations. Do not hesitate to ask questions and physician, and methodologist of physical therapy. Remember that complete healing and strengthening the muscles and other tissues traumatized during surgery usually lasts for three months. At this time there is a risk of displacement of the new joint (head of the joint may move from the joint capsule).
Here are just some of the recommendations, the observance of which helps to avoid this complication.
- Do not bend the hip more than 90 degrees relative to the body. In the sitting position your knees should be slightly lower than hips to it on the chair seat should put a small pillow.
- Do not cross your legs, do not offset the operated leg toward the center line of the body.
- Do not twist the operated leg neither in nor out. When walking, place your feet and turns right.
- Avoid sudden movements are too hip.
- Do not lie on the operated side up. If you go to the opposite (neprooperirovanny) side, put a pillow between your legs. This will help avoid displacement of the joint the operated leg.
Immediately contact your doctor or operate your surgeon if the pain increased in the operated joint, there is swelling, fever, or there are any other unusual symptoms.