OverviewInsomnia or sleep disorder - a problem faced by almost all. Insomnia is characterized not only by lack of sleep, and inability to sleep well, and can also include difficulty falling asleep, lack of sleep or early awakening, followed by the inability to fall asleep again.
Causes of insomnia- Unfavorable situation in which a person goes to sleep, such as noise, heat / cold, too hard or too soft bed;
- A change of lifestyle, such as traveling, moving to a new apartment;
- Stressful situations at home and at work;
- Diseases that lead to pain, difficulty breathing, or frequent urination;
- Anxiety or depression.
Symptoms of insomniaIf a person can not sleep in a stressful situation or insomnia celebrated several times a year, you can try to solve the problem yourself. Repeated episodes of insomnia, or a prolonged period when people can not sleep, insomnia associated with depression, or if you are unable to cope with the problem, requiring treatment to a doctor and specialist advice.
What you can do?You may need several weeks to establish a new, natural sleep and wakefulness. Consult your doctor if you do not notice any improvement after taking the following measures:
- Do not drink alcohol in the evening. Despite the fact that alcohol has a short-term sedative effect on the body, and a person can quickly go to sleep after drinking alcohol, yet alcohol has an effect on the phase of deep sleep. You may suddenly wake up, after its effect has ended.
- Do not smoke, especially when lying in bed. Nicotine has a stimulating effect, which prevents you from falling asleep and prevents the normal process of sleep.
- Do not drink coffee at all or try to drink it less. Caffeine remains in the body for 12-24 hours Please note that in addition to coffee and caffeine containing foods such as chocolate, cola and tea. If you suspect that caffeine is the cause of your insomnia, do not use products containing caffeine for at least 12 hours before bedtime.
- It should be borne in mind that some medications cause disruption to normal sleep patterns. Many non-prescription drugs used for colds, as well as containing pseudoephedrine, have the same stimulating effect on the body as caffeine. Therefore, before taking medications should ask the pharmacist at the pharmacy how this drug affects sleep, and if he can maintain the waking state, can not it be replaced by another.
- Do not overeat just before going to bed. Unpleasant feeling of fullness may interfere with sleep. It is better to confine ourselves to a snack. So you can satisfy your hunger, without disrupting the sleep mode. Many believe unconditionally in the miraculous power of a glass of warm or cold milk. You can add a little honey, cinnamon or vanilla. For some more suitable cup of herbal tea without caffeine.
- Take a bath for an hour or two before bedtime. It relaxes tense muscles, and you want to sleep. But we should not take a bath just before going to bed, because it will have a stimulating effect on the body and will not let you sleep. Try it yourself to find the best time for you.
- Exercise regularly. So you will quickly relieve tension and feel the vitality in the morning. In addition, the exercise you take away a lot of effort, and you get tired physically in the evening, which improves sleep. But avoid vigorous physical activity for a few hours before bedtime, because with the nervous system is stimulated and the normal process of sleep is disturbed.
- In the bedroom should be quiet and dark. If noise interferes with, try using earplugs or device "white noise". Some people prefer to sleep under the sound of the dryer or air conditioner.
- The optimum temperature for sleep 15.5-18.3 degrees. Also for a good sleep is very important that the mattress was quite dense and convenient.
- From a short nap should be abandoned. Sleeping in snatches, no more than 20 minutes, perhaps surprisingly refreshing effect on the body. However, longer naps after 4 hours of the day can affect the normal pattern of sleep and contribute to insomnia.
- Read a few minutes before you turn off the light. This will help you to relax and quickly cause drowsiness.
- Not recommended for counting sheep. The account includes a focus on a particular task. On the contrary, try to imagine yourself in a pleasant atmosphere. Use your imagination to hear the calming sounds during sleep.
- The bed should be a place for recreation. Activities such as watching horror movies, the estimate of your costs and making plans for tomorrow's work day, cause stress and anxiety, so it's best not to do it in bed.
What can your doctor?Due to lack of sleep, many people are forced to go to the doctor. However, doctors at first, too, are trying to solve your problem without medication. To drugs should be used only in extreme cases. Typically, hypnotics are not conducive to normal healthy sleep, but rather sharply depress consciousness. Many of hypnotics, non-prescription, intended for the so-called placebo effect, which means that the drug has an effect because the patient believes in it.
Your doctor can determine the cause of insomnia and appropriate treatment.
Your doctor may prescribe a sleeping pill if necessary. Do not take sleeping pills without a doctor's recommendation, as Usually such tools make it easy to temporary difficulties in falling asleep. Long taking them is addictive.
The doctor may refer you to a psychiatrist if necessary.