GeneralItchy skin - it's a fairly common unpleasant sensation that causes the desire to comb the affected area of the skin. Itching can be acute or chronic, local (to be felt on any one particular area of the skin) or generalized. Itching in itself is not a disease - is just one of the symptoms of certain skin diseases, disorders of internal organs or nerve systems. However, severe itching is capable of causing human suffering incredible. Itching often endure even more difficult than the pain.
Scratching leads to increased itching, redness and inflammation of the skin. In place of injury can penetrate the infection that causes pustular skin diseases.
The causes of itchingIronically, the pathophysiology of pruritus is very complex. Itching is the result of a cascade of humoral and neuro-reflex responses, which can be launched from various factors.
The most common causes of itching local:
- Dry skin
- An infection of the upper layer of the skin, such as folliculitis and impetigo;
- Itching is one of the first symptoms of contact, allergic and atopic dermatitis - an allergic reaction to certain medications, chemicals, plants, insect bites, etc.;
- Itching accompanied by a rash on the skin of one of the symptoms of childhood diseases (chicken pox, measles)
- Parasitic infections such as lice (mainly itching of the scalp), mites (characterized by itching, combined with the itch moves on the skin), pinworms (cause intense itching around the anus in children).
Genital itching occurs mainly in women. The reason for this are the heavy cables, candidiasis, trichomoniasis, irritating urine in diabetes, gout, inflammatory diseases of the genital organs, sexual neuroses, in some cases, the girls pinworms.
The causes generalized pruritus include:
- A disease of the liver, accompanied by jaundice and hyperbilirubinemia
- Endocrine diseases (diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism)
- Some diseases of the blood (iron deficiency anemia, polycythemia vera, etc.)
- Mental disorders;
- Some cancers.
You can also identify "senile pruritus" - unexplained intense itching in people over 70 years in the absence of obvious reasons.
TreatmentAs we have already said, itching is not a separate disease, but a symptom. That is why if pruritus physician initially provide a thorough diagnosis (which may include a variety of research based on clinical symptoms and the particular case), and then assigns the treatment.
To reduce the feeling of itching, you can use the following local media:
- The action of cold (cold showers, cold pack, a towel soaked in cold water, but it must be remembered that long-term exposure to moisture can adversely affect the skin in allergic diseases)
- Lotion with menthol and camphor (have a local anesthetic action, have a cooling and soothing effect on the skin)
- Antihistamines, topical (creams and ointments).
Antihistamines Oral and ointments containing corticosteroids should not be used to consult with a doctor.
Avoid exposure to heat, bright sunshine, exercise. Wear loose cotton clothing.