Irrigoscopy – one of radiological methods of investigation of the colon using a radiopaque substance. Barium enema is performed after the introduction into the rectum of barium sulfate (contrast material) or barium suspension in combination with air (double contrast method).
Double contrast reveals the small size of the tumor, particularly polyps and mucosal changes that occur in the early stages of inflammatory diseases of the large intestine.
With the barium enema can be visualized colon almost an entire length, but for the most effective research rectosigmoid zone applies sigmoidoscopy.
Irrigoscopy not performed after radiographic contrast studies of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Used with barium is excreted within a few days, and the remnants of this substance may distort the results irrigoscopy.
The information that can be accessed by barium enema
During the barium enema doctor receives the following information about the patient’s colon:
- The location, shape and diameter of the colon;
- The degree of extensibility and flexibility of the intestinal wall;
- Define the function bauginievoy flap. Bauginievaya flap – is a fold, which is located between the ileum and colon. Normally bauginievaya damper must pass the intestinal contents in only one direction (from the small intestine into the large), but there may be a violation of the intestinal contents throw in the opposite direction. Movement in contrast barium enema shows clearly whether there are irregularities in the bauginievoy flap;
- Relief mucosa of the colon walls. This indicator is particularly important in the diagnosis of ulcerative lesions of the bowel, fistulas, tumors, diverticulosis, scars and congenital malformations;
- Functional state departments of large intestine.
Why is it important to conduct irrigoscopy?
As a rule, barium enema is used to confirm the diagnosis in suspected those or other diseases of the colon. Barium enema is often decisive diagnostic method for tumors and colon diverticula.
During the barium enema using the technique of double -contrast study diagnostic capabilities are significantly increased. With barium enema can indirectly confirm the presence of diseases such as colitis and tuberculosis.
Which diseases carried irrigoscopy?
When irrigoscopy estimated rate of change of the intestinal mucosa in ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, as well as visualized tumors, fistulas, malformations and diverticula.
Unlike colonoscopy, barium enema and less traumatic and less likely to cause complications. Furthermore, barium enema is possible to investigate with the “blind” to the field of colonoscopy, for example, portions in the folds of the mucosa, and also bends in the colon and the sigmoid colon.
Application irrigoscopy shown if the patient following symptoms:
- Bleeding from the rectum;
- Mucous or purulent discharge from the intestines;
- Pain in the anus and in the course of the colon;
- Chronic disorder stool (constipation or diarrhea).
How is barium enema?
Barium enema is performed in a specially equipped medical facility office. A few days before the scheduled study patient should prepare for barium enema. Must be made within 3-4 days follow a special cleansing diet and the use of additional methods for bowel cleansing. This patient doctor tells in detail.
Before the study, the patient is laid down on the couch on its side. In the anus enema tip is introduced, which contains a radiopaque substance. In the future, under fluoroscopy intestines filled contrast agents and conduct a series of reviews and sighting shots in different positions of the patient.
After emptying of barium mixture is produced as air filling bowel under fluoroscopy. So can investigate the organic and functional disorders of the intestinal wall.
Duration of the procedure is a few minutes. During double contrast examination may take 30 to 40 minutes.